Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Soulful Dieting

Today is day nine of the mastercleanse detox, you know the "lemonade diet." In 10 days or less, the promise is that I will clean out years and years and YEARS of nastiness stuck to my innards. The result? A new, brighter, shinier, ME. Which is what I've been waiting for! Oh yeah, and there is a little added bonus--weight loss. Apparently Beyonce lost like 20 pounds on the mastercleanse before filming her movie "Dreamgirls." But, you know, weight loss is not my goal. Or so I keep trying to remind myself...

I know anorexia is not a subject to take on lightly, many people are hurt by this terrible disease. And yet, here I am, Day 9 of no food and the temptation to never eat again is LARGE! I've dropped 10 pounds at last weigh-in and seem to drop at least one a day. Three people today stopped me and said, "Wow, have you lost weight?! You look great. KEEP IT UP." Three. And I've only left the house for a half-hour thus far. Not a great thing to admit, having left the house for only a half-hour at 3:30 pm in a day, but who cares?--I look great. KEEP IT UP. What kind of message do I read there? That I was a fatter, more slovenly me than I had realized? That even though I had thought I disguised it, apparently I hadn't? Or, do I take the message literally--keep it up. Never eat again!

So, back to anorexia. Is it anorexia if you subsist on a cocktail of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water for the rest of your life? Is it anorexia if it is supposed to be GOOD for you to eat this and only this from anywhere between 10 to 40 days? Would it be anorexia AFTER those 40 days are up? And, the bigger, more important question--let's be honest, anorexia and any other UNDEReating problem has never really appealed to me--how unbelievably lazy am I that I'd rather forgo eating ALTOGETHER than have to exercise and stay away from naughty no-nos like chocolate to lose the rest of the weight I so long to say "So long!" to?! That is truly my question to ponder today!


If you actually don't know about the Master Cleanse because you live under a rock or in Siberia or somewhere even farther into the boonies than where I live, check out: http://mastercleansesecrets.com/

No comments: