Monday, May 12, 2008

Free Money

The government is sending me money! It was a bit of a shocker, the government and I aren't exactly buddy-buddy. But, I went to the post office the other day to find a letter from the IRS waiting in my mailbox. Nervously I tore open the back, all the while wondering if they finally caught me for any little fudges I might have made on my taxes. But no, there it was, a simple note saying that with their sincerest apologies I somehow did not receive or did not cash a check for $1300.00 two years ago and that they wanted to reissue me a new one. Now, here was the catch...I had to call the IRS to get the check.

I looked at the letter for about five days. Do I call? Do I not call? What if it is a trick! In the end, I decided to call from my friend's phone. That way, if I needed to hang up they could not trace my phone number--as if they don't know everything about me anyway. But there you go, now you know the deep, dark secret about me. I am a paranoid government-phob.

So, anyway, I made the call and five minutes later hung up the phone after being told the "check would be issued tomorrow." I can't believe it! It is like cash from heaven. And, not two days later I received another letter, this time from a company I do some work for. They said that I had not cashed a check for $68 in 2007 and wanted to reissue THAT check to me, too!

One might chalk these unexpected windfalls up to my lack of business organization. You might be able to argue that I lost the checks and don't keep good record of my finances. And, you might be right. But, I personally am attributing it to the UNIVERSE!!!! It's been told to me that the universe will provide if YOU get out of the way and let it. As all two readers of my blog know, my small but steady paycheck is about to disappear and I am on a path to find this faith. Each step I take is a crucial one in the journey. Do I panic and go find some crap job in town? Do I grow medical marijuana like every other Tom, Dick, and Jane in my valley? Or, do I walk the path of enlightenment and follow my dreams, letting the universe provide?

For today, at least, the Universe has won.

No comments: